I received a nice surprise email from an old friend whom I haven't seen in the past 4 years and probably not even emailed with in the past 2 years. The email, and my recent visit to Washington to meet Heta after almost 2 years stirred up something in me: I don't know what's going on in my not-in-Ottawa friends' life, but I would really love to know.
Obviously my favourite communication with you, my dear not-in-Ottawa friend, would be face to face, over a cup of tea or a pint of beer. But unfortunately, depending on where you live, this would also mean a 10-25 hours and 500-1700e trip over the Atlantic, and to my knowledge none of us is a millionaire so far. Emailing isn't really an option either, since emailing for work for 7 hours a day takes all the fun out of emailing for fun after work. What is left? The damn Facebook, where everyone seems to be. And what I've heard, it's a great way to stay in touch, if you just ignore all the negative sides of the virtual world.
So, lately I've started to think if I should finally give up on my anti-Facebook attitude and join the damn thing.
I haven't finished my inner battle about it yet, but if the battle comes to an end in the near future and the result is favorable for Facebook, I might be requesting your friendship in the virtual world ... but ONLY if you live outside of Ottawa. With Ottawa friends I want to stay in reality and meet for a real cup of tea or pint of beer.
If this was the Facebook I would press "like"-button. Now I am just waiting for you to come and play with us there!
ReplyDeleteHtsQ
Well, now I'm there. But since I'm still anti-Facebook I'm hiding behind a very clever name Loora KeiKei. (Name sounds a little like Layla K in the 1990s, but my singing would be even worse, so no singing.)
ReplyDelete