I hardly ever watch TV due to our snowy-picture-quality on English speaking channels (French speaking channels are clearer, but my level 1 French skills didn't make me fluent yet). However, few days ago I was watching snowy CSI and I became very emotional. Not because of the bluelight of the CSI dudes, but because of the advertisements. Basically any Canadian company, or foreign company in Canada, had an advertisement related to the Olympics.
No matter whether it was a beer, technology or clothing ad, slow motion images of Canadian athletes competing, winning, celebrating were combined with images of Canadians of all ages and colours cheering for their athlete heroes. "We were made for this" and "I believe" are some sort of official Olympic slogans, which are being repeated over and over again, all over media. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFmfgXtJ08
And not just media. Clothing stores in Ottawa, 4500 km away from the Olympics, have decorated their display windows with Canada hoodies, hockey pucks, pictures of athletes.
And it works. Lately, on my way to work I've been getting slightly emotional when I see the display windows and few days ago, the ads during the CSI breaks made me sit in front of the TV with teary eyes. Earlier I had only been annoyed that most likely I won't see live ski jumping (it's not a big deal here, I wonder why) but this week it hit me, that it's probably the only Olympics Canada will be hosting in my life time, so I better enjoy it!
So, 6 days from today, I'll be glued to Olympics and learn who are the Canadian heroes. Another, as important mission is to hope that Janne Ahonen would finally win gold in Olympics - no matter if I can see it on TV or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment