Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blueberry kisiel forever

Feels like I went back to 7th grade when I was in Finland during Christmas. Not only I re-learned how to knit, but also how to make kiisseli again. Since I had no idea what kiisseli is in English, and I was not satisfied with my "something between thick juice and thin soup" explanation I relied on the wonder wide web.

Wikipedia expanded my vocabulary and knowledge by telling me that kiisseli is kisiel or kissel in English and кисель kisél’ in Russian, kisiel in Polish, kisielius in Lithuanian and кисiль in Ukrainian. It is said to be "a popular dessert in Eastern and Northern Europe. It consists of sweetened juice, thickened with arrowroot, cornstarch or potato starch, and sometimes red wine or dried fruits are added. It is similar to the Danish Rødgrød or German Rote Grütze. Kissel can be served either hot or cold, also together with sweetened quark or semolina pudding. Kissel can also be served on pancakes or with ice cream. If the kissel is made using less thickening starch, it can be drunk - this is common in Russia." I wonder if the Russian кисель includes Vodka too? The one in the picture doesn't, even though it is drinkable as the Russian kisiel. I haven't made kisiel in a very long time. One reason in the past couple of years was that I haven't been able to find potato flour in Ottawa. I was graving for kisiel as well as (lingon)berry pudding last autumn, but the lack of potato flour hold me back. Once I decided to make cranberry pudding out of the local fresh cranberries (replacement for (lingon)berry pudding), and I bought corn flour to replace potato flour. That trial ended up with nicely pinkish and pretty pudding -- with a texture of glue. I bravely ate most of the sticky pudding in the next couple of days, but the fourth morning I had to through it out.

I wised up from that sticky experience and brought some potato flour with me from Finland; the first blueberry-strawberry kisiel of the year turned out to be non-sticky and delicious. (And inspired me to play with the camera too.) Thanks to Wikipedia now I know that Poles make their own kisiel and I could have a good chance to find potato flour in the local Polish store. If this is the case I don't have to worry about regulating or smuggling potato flour anymore, and I can make kisiel whenever I want!

2 comments:

  1. Haha =) Sehän oliskin, kun ne kävis tullissa ihmettelemään sitä "valkoista jauhetta"... Ihania kuvia, pitäisköhän tehdä kiissulia.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it is the same thing but you can find potato starch in kosher sections of grocery stores. You may also be able to substitute with arrowroot powder which can be bought in a bulk store. Kisiel sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete