Saturday, August 21, 2010

Phone conversations

I noted in my "Signs of being Canadianized" that I've started to answer "Hello" to our phone (which doesn't have name display), like they do here, instead of answering with my name, which is what I learned as a kid. "Hello" might sound like a welcoming and friendly answer, but it often leads to frustrating moments. Like this:

Our landline phone rings.
Me: "Hello"
Caller: "Hello"
Me: "Hello?" (trying to emphasize the question mark in my intonation)
Caller: "Hello"
Me (frustrated, not sure whether it's about the line and the other person can't here me, or if it's just once again the annoying hello-hello-dance): Sorry, but who's calling?
Caller: Oh, sorry, I though you recognized my voice, it's --- (usually one of our friends or Abdallah's relatives - telemarketers are polite, they always introduce themselves). How are you?
Me: I'm good, how are you? Just a little suggestion, next time you could introduce yourself when you call!

Example 2:
Phone rings.
Me: "Hello"
Caller: "Hello"
Me: "Hello?" (trying to emphasize the question mark in my intonation)
Caller: "Hello"
Me: "Hello???" (really trying to emphasize the question marks in my intonation)
Caller: How are you?
Me: I'm good, how are you? (Trying to think who on earth the person on the other end is.)
Caller: Not too bad.
Me: Great. Sorry, but who's calling?
Caller: Oh, sorry, I though you recognized my voice, it's -----.

The last part can also go like this:
...
Me: I'm good, how are you? (Trying to think who on earth the person on the other end is.)
Caller: Not too bad, it was great to hang out with you guys last week.
Me: Oh, it's you ---- (name of our friends)! Sorry, I didn't recognize your voice! You should have introduced yourself! But yes, it was great to see you!

2 comments:

  1. Haha!
    Kiitos nauruista.
    Ensin ajattelin, että miten muille ihmisille sattuu ja tapahtuu tai siis tavallisen harmaan arjen tilanteista muodostuu tommosia hauskoja (?) tilanteita... mutta siis tajusin just itekin, että tuon puhelimen kanssa on meilläkin nykyään hauskoja hetkiä.
    Tai ainakin silloin kun nimi "Emma" vilkkuu ruudussa.
    Viime viikolla soitti klo 7: Äiti, toi kello ei piippaa se ei herätä. (No tunti oli aikaa vielä nukkua) ja samaisena aamuna klo 8:30: Joko mä nyt lähden kouluun, viisarit ovat siinä yhdeksän kohdalla? (Joo no ei ihan).
    Tänään klo 8:35: Äiti, mä en keksi enää mitään tekemistä kun oon syönyt aamupalan, kammannut tukan ja pukenut. (Aikaa kymmenisen minuuttia ennen kuin pitää koululle lähteä).

    On se jännää tuo koulun aloittaminen =)

    t. Sanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiitos vastatarinasta! Pienia arkisia asioitahan arki on taynna, ja niista pienista asioista loytyy arjen juhla. Vaan taytyy paivitella, etta joko se Emmakin menee kouluun.. Hyvaa syksya ekaluokkalaiselle! Ja Hetaa lainatakseni, on kiva etta kommentoit, tiedan etta ainakin joku lukee mun tarinointia!

    ReplyDelete